Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

"A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever." -Martin Tupper

---



Thursday, July 21, 2011

Alighting at Horsham


When I first came to London in 2006, I was working on my student teaching. Through a series of events that I had little to no control over, I ended up teaching in smaller town south of London in a town called Horsham. To this day and at the time, I truly believe fate brought me not only to that particular town but also a particular family. I stayed with the Bennett’s during my time in England and truly became one of them. I lived and worked and played with them. I shared my secrets, fears, and happy times with them but most of all, I cam to know them and love them deeply. Tonight, I returned to my English home and saw them once more.

I can’t even tell you what it means to see them. I can’t even begin to describe how much they really mean to me. I can only say that even after 5 years we can still connect once more over a glass of wine or a pint of beer and it’s like we were never a part.

Tonight, we talked of many things. We discussed current events but more importantly, we shared the past together once more. We talked about what had changed (the bathroom and bedrooms) and what hadn’t (Alice’s laugh and Denise’s smile) and we talked about trips and plans and just all the life that can happen to one person in five years. We reminisced about the old days and remembered favorite songs (anything by the Proclaimers) but we also talked about the present and what is going on now in our lives (new schools and futures prospects). The amazing part is that we are all still just as close to one another as we once were. When we look back, it seems like such a long time ago but in our minds it’s like it was only yesterday.

So tonight I dedicate my post to Denise, Simon, Alice and Tom. The four of you made my time in England more meaningful and joyous than I can ever convey in words. You were and are my home away from home and I’m so thankful that you are still here for me now and today. Thank you for taking me in and looking out for me during a difficult time in my life. Thank you for all that you taught me and for everything that you did for me. I will always think of you as family.

No comments:

Post a Comment