Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

"A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever." -Martin Tupper

---



Friday, July 22, 2011

So far so good!


This week was jam packed with so many different tours and sites and traveling that it is wonderful to get a chance to sit down, relax, and maybe work a bit. :) Today, I took a tour of the British Museum. This was wonderful to see since it features all of the ancient civilizations that we cover in 6th grade. I'm still new to teaching this particular subject so it was amazing to see everything I've been reading about for the past year. There is so much to do and take in that one day will not be enough- I will definitely have to make my way back here. Lucky for me, it's just right down the street!!
I mostly focused on Egypt and Greece today. The burial artifacts of Egypt are stunning especially when you stop to think about how old everything really is! In contrast, Greece becomes more artistically defined and you can almost see civilization humanize. I can't believe that so much has been retained over the years. As an educator, I was also VERY impressed that the museum was FREE! That's something we can all appreciate.
Overall, I think my favorite part of our first week of class, besides just being able to return here in the first place and see my English family, was Oxford. Though I was exhausted the entire day, I was struck by the beauty of the town and it's fondness for education and literature. Those being such big aspects of my life, I was in awe the whole time. For next week, I'm looking forward to visiting Stonehenge and returning to the Globe. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment