Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

"A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever." -Martin Tupper

---



Monday, September 14, 2009

Week Four Reflections

LM_NET

During our assignment this week, we looked at an archived discussion on LM_NET about electronic devices used in current libraries.  I was interested in learning more about the Playaways that many libraries seem to be using.  I would love for my students to be able to use a Playway.  I have several students who are not interested in reading but are more than willing to listen to a story.  If we had devices available for checkout we could solve this problem.

            Other discussions on LM_NET were about updating foreign language books.  Our library’s foreign language section is practically nonexistent. I think more students would be interested in learning a new language if there were more resources available to them to learn.  I would love to see different kinds of phrase books, picture books, and even audio resources available for checkout.

 

Blogs

            The debate continues on printed text vs. online resources.  Donald Mills complains on his blog about how young people never crack a book.  It’s true.  Students now prefer to look up information online and most don’t even know how to use a reference resource.  One of my friends was giving a lecture for a pharmacy class and in her assignment she specifically had students use some printed resources to look up drug information.  In her opinion, she will continue to have the students learn how to use the actual books until the web resources offer the same quality information.  I feel this debate will continue for a long while.  Some people are not going to be convinced that the web resources are what’s best for research.

            Doug Johnson comments on his blog about the 6 phases of a group project.

The six phases are:

1.     Enthusiasm

2.     Disillusionment

3.     Panic

4.     Search for the guilty

5.     Punishment of the innocent

6.     Praise and honors for the nonparticipants

I’m in the same boat with my school here at the beginning of school and I smiled when I read this in Doug’s blog.  It couldn’t be more true of an example of the way more projects go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment