Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

"A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever." -Martin Tupper

---



Monday, September 7, 2009

Week Two Part Two

On the AASL blog I found an interesting entry about removing all print materials from a library.  I feel like in the future many librarians are going to be faced with the idea that we may be removing what has always been a crucial element to our profession. I can't believe that after thousands of years we might be looking at removing books altogether. I know eBooks have a place in this world but so do print materials. Just taking into account different learning styles show us that we need to hold on to our physical materials. Students learn in all ways and the internet or electronic materials will not completely change that.
It seems like everyone is talking about the upcoming Obama speech. It started last Thursday at my school, it's been on the LM_NET, so of course I've seen it on blogs this week.  Thankfully, I have seen more outrage over schools not being allowed to watch it than those who agree.  First I didn't really understand why people were making such a big deal over the issue. Why can't we let our students watch the news during school? Is it not important to let them form their own opinions anymore? Our school has gone back and forth over the issue so many time that I doubt any teacher feels comfortable showing the speech now even though it would technically be allowed.  It just goes to show you how terribly alive censorship is and how little faith or trust we put in those who are meant to lead us.

No comments:

Post a Comment